Your New Favorite Pot Roast
Family and friends will destroy this classic (and classy) meat and potatoes dish. It’s special enough for a holiday feast but too flippin’ good to only make once or twice a year.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
By: Party In An Instant Pot Cookbook
3 pounds beef chuck roast
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
2 teaspoons freshly chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup red wine
3 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound baby potatoes halved
4 medium carrots peeled and sliced on the bias
- Generously season chuck roast with salt and pepper. Set Instant Pot to Sauté for 15 minutes, and heat oil.
- When oil is shimmering, add beef and sear on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove beef and add onion.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, rosemary, thyme, and tomato paste, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in flour, then whisk in wine until combined. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, potatoes, and carrots. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place beef on top of mixture. Secure lid, and set to Pressure Cook on High for 60 minutes.
- Follow manufacturer’s guide for quick release, making sure to wait until cycle is complete before unlocking and removing lid. Let beef rest in sauce for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice roast against grain.